Whatever Happened to the Cavatini?
I used to love to order the cavatini at Pizza Hut. Don't know how long its been off the menu but I decided to try and make it at home. Pizza Hut is now offering the Tuscany Pastas which I haven't tried yet.
Cavatini Copy Cat Recipe
- 1 large green pepper, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1/2 stick margarine
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 lb assorted pasta (wheels, shells, spirals, ziti)
- 1/2 of pepperoni sliced thin then cut in half
- 8 oz mozarella cheese (shredded)
- 1/2 lb hamburger (browned)
- 1/2 lb italian sausage (browned)
- 16 oz jar of meat flavored Prego sauce.
Melt margarine over medium heat in a skillet. Add onions, peppers, and garlic powder. Saute for about 4 minutes. Meanwhile, cook pasta according to box directions. Heat sauce and combine with cooked hamburger and cooked sausage. Use cooking spray to lightly grease an 11 x 13 casserole dish or smaller indivual serving size baking dishes. Place 1/2 of the cooked pasta in the dish, followed by 1/2 the vegetables, 1/2 of the pepperoni, and 1/2 sauce. Repeat anotherr layer. Spred mozzarella cheese over the top. Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Cavatini That Tastes Like Lasagna
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cups sliced and quartered pepperoni
- 16 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (32 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 cup rigatoni pasta
- 1 cup rotini pasta
- 1 cup macaroni
- 1 pound ricotta cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, combine green pepper, onion, pepperoni, mushrooms, tomato paste, spaghetti sauce, and garlic. Cover, and simmer for one hour.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook pasta in boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes, or until al dente; drain.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Mix together pasta, ricotta, 1 1/2 cups mozzarella, and Parmesan. In a 9x13 inch baking dish, alternate pasta and cheese mixture and sauce mixture, ending with sauce. Top with remaining mozzarella.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes. Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
Cavatini based on Pizza
The cavatini is basically making pizza flavored pasta. You have a ton of options and are only limited by your imagination. Below are some ideas for making cavatini based on Pizza Hut's specialty pizzas.
Your choice of two fresh toppings smothered in mounds of cheese.
Has five kinds of meat: pepperoni, Italian sausage, ham, bacon and beef.
Loaded with two layers of pepperoni and two layers of cheese.
Fresh mushrooms, red onions, green peppers, tomatoes and black olives make this a veggie-fan's favorite.
Their signature blend of pepperoni, Italian sausage, green peppers, red onions and mushrooms.
A feast of ham, pepperoni, beef, Italian sausage, red onions, mushrooms, green peppers, and black olives.
MEAT TOPPINGS OFFERED
- Italian Sausage
- Rustica Sausage
- Ground Beef
VEGGIES AND FRUIT OFFERED
- Banana Peppers
- Black Olives
- Green Olives
- Green Peppers
- Red Onion
- Roasted Red Peppers
Teenagers love this meal!..Set out a bunch of bowls of toppings and let them create their own cavatini based on what they like on their pizza. Make sure the meat is already cooked and then just pop in the microwave to heat the sauce and melt the cheese. I also serve english muffins with this party meal. These can be toasted with garlic butter and parmesan cheese or make into miniature pizzas.
Watching your carbs?
No problem. Just use whole wheat pasta and bread.
Your kids will love this meal!
OTHER CAVATINI IDEAS
Chicken alfredo cavatini. I use Ragu alfredo jar sauce and grilled chicken.
Bacon cheeseburger cavatini. Fry up some hamburger and bacon and add Ragu cheese sauce.
Taco cavatini. Use leftover taco meat, salsa and mexican cheese.
Use your imagination and have fun.